Friday, October 30, 2020

Mr. Sean's Crazy Idea Regarding Pies

Recently my dad brought home a pie from a local business called Tuttle's Treats (link to their Facebook page here: Tuttle's Treats). It was a delicious pie and it got me thinking about pies. Thinking about pies got me thinking about the mathematical constant pi (π ≈ 3.14) and that maybe I should try to find 314 recipes for pie. As the days have marched on since eating that delicious pie (I've been told it was a chocolate chess pie) I've been coming up with how to approach the Pie-pendium. At first I was going to allow duplicates within the 314 (100*pi) recipes, but I figured that would make the collection of pie recipes less challenging. So I came up with the idea of letting pies that have multiple recipes available to me have one recipe in the first 314 pie recipe collection and the multiples would occupy the second 314 pie recipe collection, for a total of 628 (2*pi*100) pie recipes. 

The more I try to hammer out my Pie-pendium idea, the more I think of how hard it will be to properly attribute each recipe since some of the cookbooks I can look at involve groups of people from years past (such as an Enlisted Spouses Club of a military installation from around 1999). I will try my best to give proper attribution of recipes by writing the names associated with each recipe and which group of people they are/were associated with and/or the title of the cookbook I got the recipe from.

There are also some issues in the world of pies and pastries. Some people argue that quiches and tarts are not pies. Besides different baking pans and words, there aren't very many differences between pies and tarts. Then there are also the fried pastries of various kinds to take into account (empanadas are somewhat similar to the apple pie turnovers in the outer shell). My verdicts are that tarts are fair game for the Pie-pendium and so are dishes such as empanadas.

I'll have to figure out how to keep all the recipes together later, but I know that loose leaf paper will need to be placed in a binder and that five subject notebooks can be quite expensive, though with loose leaf paper, I won't have to worry about running out of room on a finite space in the way I would with notebooks.

Anyways, here's some pie to serve as visual inspiration for my crazy idea. I have got to find that postcard I bought from Lancaster County in 2009 that is a recipe for Shoo-fly pie. I love Shoo-fly pie!



No comments:

Post a Comment