Friday, October 26, 2018

A Personal Non-Comprehensive Review of: Pusheen a cross-stitch kit


Pusheen loves donuts and I like cross-stitching

In recent weeks I got my hands on the Pusheen cross-stitch kit and this past week I've been spending time creating the pattern in the above photo. This post will document why I got the kit and how I feel about it and cross-stitching so far.

Why Did I get the kit?

There isn't a long story to go with this, but back when I was living in Reighard Hall at Millersville University last year, some of the freshmen Honors College students engaged in creative pursuits such as knitting and cross stitching. I was interested in trying my hand at knitting and cross-stitching but I was more interested by cross-stitching. I needed to start small so I didn't get over my head and Pusheen beckoned to me. The cute and chubby cat was reason enough to get the Pusheen cross-stitch kit as I love Pusheen.

How do I feel about the kit?

I can definitely say it makes for a solid kit for beginners of cross stitch though I do have a few comments with the specific kit I received.

The first comment is that the needles provided were definitely not blunt and felt more like the sewing needles I used to sew my Boy Scout merit badges onto my sash earlier this year, but that's okay for me as I didn't tear apart the Aida cloth provided.

The second comment is that I sometimes had a hard time untangling the individual strands of a single color of thread. The thread provided can actually be split into six thinner strands but sometimes instead of me taking a single thread and effortlessly removing it from the super-thread, it caused the super-thread to tangle and challenging to untangle.  I can definitely say that it works for the three projects though. 

So far I've only completed one of the three patterns provided by the kit and have many more hours to look forward to in cross-stitching. The booklet provided with the kit was somewhat helpful but I had to use YouTube for visual instructions on how to get started as I am a visual learner.

How do I feel about cross-stitching?

Even though I've had to reattach the thread to the needle even when I had the thread knotted in a way that discouraged slipping, I enjoyed the experience of cross stitching and have ideas of what I'd like to do next after I finish the Pusheen patterns. The first idea is re-doing the pictured Pusheen pattern but with red thread and turning the donut into a Pokéball and the second and last idea I have so far is cross-stitching stuff from Super Mario Bros 3, including a jumping Mario sprite.

Cross-stitching reminds me of picross/nonograms/griddlers and since I enjoyed filling in the picross pictures, I figured I'd enjoy cross-stitching in a similar fashion of filling in the blanks to create an image.

I'd definitely recommend getting yourself a Pusheen cross-stitch kit if you want to try your hand at cross-stitching.

No comments:

Post a Comment