Sunday, December 23, 2018

2018 Year in Review, April

A lot of events with meteorology folk define this month's contribution to the year in review. There also seems to be some repetition with an event in April being similar to one in March.


More Mod, but this time for Meteorology

I don't have much more to say about Mod Pizza except that y'all should visit them, but in April, instead of eating with the family, I got to eat with the MU-AMS president and classmate Bob Capella. I heard that the fundraiser for MU-AMS was quite successful. 


Public Weather Awareness Day 10!

Public Weather Awareness Day is an annual event that promotes learning about the weather for free and seeing the diversity of who's involved with weather. This year featured Hurricane Hunters among perennial favorites such as Lancaster Emergency Management Association. For the kids' amusement there were many stations including face painting and collapsing can. The collapsing can involves heating up a can then placing it in ice water and the pressure and heat differences cause the can to collapse.


Bee gets a new friend, courtesy of a friend of mine

One day I had an hour between lunch and Mesoscale Meteorology to visit Superfest, which is basically Millersville's fun fair. I didn't have time to visit the fun stuff in the SMC building, but I did have time to visit my friend Amber Liggett and her balloon business and finally I got a balloon creation from her, I chose a bee so that my plush bee named Bee would have a friend. Thank you Amber!


MOO!

Thanks to the Honors College Student Association, I managed to visit the Turkey Hill experience right before I graduated (and would have been too late). The exhibits were cool, the free sample was nice, and it was interesting to try to make your own kind of ice cream. I tried to make a flavor called "Cinnanutty" but the cinnamon extract didn't mix well throughout the ice cream. I also got some cool stuff from the gift shop such as a bag made out of recycled bottles.


This is a surprise

The annual Russell DeSouza banquet is an opportunity for meteorology people and their friends to celebrate the academic year. There are some traditions such as the MU Emmy's for the video forecasters, the blooper reel, and the lava cake dessert. This year all the professors attended the banquet and I got a certificate. I finally tried the steak and it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment