Sunday, December 31, 2017

2017 Year in Review, December

Finally, the last month of 2017, thank you to everyone for being a part of my life in 2017 and thank you for all your support whether it be reading my blog, making sure I was okay when I was injured, or if you were a good friend to me. Onward to 2018!


Lancaster, PA in the Christmas mood

For my last First Friday in December in Lancaster (unless I end up with a job and a house in the Lancaster area) I had to go downtown as I knew the Christmas tree would be up, and it makes for a good photo, especially next to the centerpiece of Penn Square the Soldiers and Sailors Monument. The night was cold, so I hurried along to Issei Noodle on Queen street where I feasted on crab croquettes and my favorite dish from Issei, Midori Spicy Udon. Midori Spicy Udon has udon noodles served with chicken and veggies in a spicy green curry sauce and is a good mix of Thai and Japanese. After feasting at Issei, I had to find a white elephant gift for a party then I explored the city a bit and found a sweet shop that sold fudge and stroopwaffels. Before going back to campus, I stopped by at the Rabbit and the Dragonfly and got a hot chocolate that had chocolate ice cream in it. It was delicious and the ice cream didn't cool down the hot chocolate!


Some friends competing against each other for bragging rights

The UCF Christmas semi-formal was much fun, though I chose to not partake in the more competitive events (It's better that I abstain from some competition). Drew was a great MC, but the audience could have treated him better, the food was great, especially the buffalo chicken dip and the Kings Hawaiian rolls. The gift exchange was interesting in that some gifts were stolen multiple times but others stayed put. In the end I left with a good time and a new mug.


A nice way to end the semester

I was finished with finals but not quite finished with meteorology for the semester as on December 15th, I went down and met up with my Statistical Meteorology class to tour the Weather Prediction Center in College Park. It was cool learning about the daily operations and that what we learn and do as meteorology students is applicable to the professional side of things. Lunch was good with a choice of sandwich (I chose the B.E.L.T Bacon, egg, lettuce, and tomato) and the lunch came with chips, pasta salad, and a cookie. I wished that I had more pasta salad, I love pasta salad. Lunch with the group was also with Bill Lapenta and we had a Q and A session (partly because Dr. Clark told us to ask questions) and we the students got some good advice from Dr. Lapenta. The visit was capped off by a speech from Dr. Louis Uccellini, the director of the National Weather Service. What I found interesting, besides what he had planned to say, was that he was aware of the current conditions outside at the same time, it seems that my Millersville friends made it back to MU safely in the snow.


Big Church Night Out

I went to Towson University to see some acts in Christian music. This Big Church Night Out featured Sidewalk Prophets and Newsboys. Many people probably know about Newsboys through the God's Not Dead movie series, but I find it amazing how the group started in Australia but now one of the lead men in the group is from the Baltimore-Washington area. The music was great, though my one selfish wish that night was that the Sidewalk Prophets did the full version of their song Live Like That (I WANNA LIVE LIKE THAT!)


Go Navy! Just like the bleachers say

My dad got tickets to see the Military Bowl in Annapolis, so I said yes to his offer. Turns out we got lucky and got to feast on the Navy tailgate. The Navy tailgate had pulled pork, fresh huge oysters, Old Bay shrimp, and scallops among other treats. It was a really cold and blustery day in Annapolis and after an early slip-up, the Navy came back to dominate the football game. Though we left early due to the extreme cold, we kept up with the Navy scoring machine. Navy: 49 - Virginia: 7


No comments:

Post a Comment