Thursday, March 14, 2019

March Mania Day 14: Recommended Eats in Lancaster (City and County), PA

Happy Pi day y'all! Today's March Mania blog post is somewhat appropriate as I will be listing some of my recommended eats for Lancaster County, PA today. Please note that I'm not finished in my quest to eat delicious food in the county that houses my collegiate alma mater, though I do wish that I did try to eat more of the local stuff instead of Park City mall food court food (though China Party stuff was delicious). Anyways, more recommending and less regretting, here we go!

Lancaster City Eats

Isaac's: The downtown Lancaster location of this sandwich restaurant chain that only exists in South Central Pennsylvania also has a bar, but I enjoyed their sandwiches and pepperjack tomato soup. Good food for a good price if you ask me, many of the sandwich choices are named after birds as Isaac's is represented by a flamingo.

Sa La Thai: I ate there once and they had a ten dollar special at the time where at lunch time, you could get an appetizer, soup, and an entree for ten dollars. Their curry was pretty good and so was the amount of food for that price.

Issei Noodle: It's a mix of Japanese, Okinawan (Okinawa has a distinct culture and culinary tradition from the rest of modern Japan), and Thai influences. Many noodle dishes abound, some delicious appetizers, cool merch, and for some reason I've never seen anybody playing Super Smash Bros on the Nintendo 64 that is (or was, if they've removed it) in the restaurant. My favorite dish is the Midori Spicy Udon, basically curry udon except instead of Japanese curry, it's Thai green curry.

The Rabbit and the Dragonfly: I've never actually eaten there, but I've had their hot chocolate, mmmmmm! Also the atmosphere is nice if you love books, board games, and piano music. One of my regrets is not visiting this establishment more often.

Lancaster County Eats

Good 'n Plenty: Good and plenty Amish country cooking, need I say more?

Bird in Hand Family Restaurant: In 2009, my family vacationed in the Northeast, with a stop in Amish Country. This place was where I had shoofly pie for the first time. Shoofly Pie for more information on this delicious treat

Oregon Dairy Restaurant: They have a buffet similar to the Bird in Hand Family Restaurant, Miller's Smorgasbord, and Shady Maple, good enough for me! Next door is a market where you can get farm fresh food.

Miller's Smorgasbord: They have a lot of everything, including varieties of soups. So much good food, 15 year old me would call this place heaven.

Special Mention

Special mention goes out to the food places near Millersville University that have been feeding thousands of hungry college students for many years. Some of these places include Sugar Bowl (home of "World Famous Stromboli" and the local place for milkshakes), Jack's (a bar that is notorious for mountains of fries and is a favorite of Millersville students), and Far East Café (Although Oriental Chinese Restaurant is touted as better, I liked the service from Far East much better, a sweet Chinese couple always giving me large portions and I've never had problems with their food).

Bonus: Here is what Millersville University suggests for Lancaster eats: Millersville's Suggestions, though my friends would say the University and I forgot Shady Maple, but at least I have an excuse, I've never been there, though I hear it's pretty good.

Second Bonus: If you've made it this far, here's a picture of Susheen and Pizeko (Pizza Neko, neko meaning cat in Japanese) eating food. Pizeko is eating a pizza pie slice in commemoration of Pi day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment