Tuesday, March 5, 2019

March Mania Day 5: Running


The spoils of my victories (well, participation, but you are your own competition at that point)

Running has been a part of my life but not a constant like it should be. I remember struggling to run the mile in elementary school gym class. It did not help that I didn't train or was wearing jeans that day. In middle school I got more serious about running by participating more in gym class and working toward my Personal Fitness Merit Badge in Boy Scouts. In seventh grade there were a few days dedicated to running and unlike in elementary school I didn't completely suck! I was middle of the pack sometimes leaning toward the front of the class. Around that time I was proud of my approximately eight minute mile, but it would not be my best effort. In high school I participated in outdoor track, running the mile and the two mile races. I wasn't the fastest and was usually among the slowest, but was able to keep pace with at least one runner and I saw my best performances in the mile and two mile races on the track. Thanks to high school track I managed to pull a sub six minute mile and a 12:37 (min:sec) two mile, both are Personal Records for me. On distances longer than two miles my results have been mixed. I have successfully ran three half-marathons so far, each one better than the previous one, but they were in 2010, 2011, and 2012. Meanwhile I've not had good luck with training or running a 5k. I remember struggling to keep up with my father and brother around 2008 just trying to train for the 5k and I've yet to complete a 5k without walking. One day I'll do myself proud and finish a 5k without walking a single step.

No comments:

Post a Comment